According to Templafy online, a staggering 269 billion emails are sent globally each day and there are currently just over 3.7 billion email users worldwide. The average person receives 121 emails daily and sends 40+ business emails. In addition, most business users claim to check their email over 70 times per day! Given these stats, it is no doubt that email is the most pervasive communication tool used in the business world.
Emails are no longer solely used for friendly communications but also for business data such as sales reports, client data, business negotiations, financial reports, credit card data, and all sorts of sensitive client information that should be protected. This is even more true if your company is required under federal law to comply with the confidentiality and privacy rights of patients under the HIPAA law. Knowing these uses of email, let’s examine the top reasons why email encryption is critical for your business.
- Protect Confidentiality – Email encryption can prevent network eavesdroppers with malicious intent from gaining sensitive information, such as patient data, credit card numbers, social security numbers, and login credentials. Unfortunately, the content and attachments that are transmitted in plain text over local networks can be intercepted and read en route to the receiver. Unencrypted emails can cause confidentiality and privacy compliance to be broken. One specific safety net that Spectra Networks uses is Paubox for email. Paubox is HIPAA compliant and can alert administrators and IT professionals to emails that contain information that is deemed confidential and requires an administrator to resend when the data is HIPAA compliant.
- Protect Your Business – In today’s world of legal and medical compliance regulations, emails that are not encrypted can leave your business open to litigation. Protect your company by investing in encryption software and training for your employees.
- Avoiding Identity Theft – Email encryption can help you avoid the possibility of a malicious identity theft. Having someone gain access to your username and/or password can be damaging to any business or personal emails you write. In addition, having access to your credentials allows someone to have access to your email servers and even more sensitive information.
- Prevent Spam and Malware – Stem the tide of spam and malware being distributed in your name with email encryption. Given that spam attachments tend to contain viruses, encryption can save you time and money.
- Time-Saving and Cost-Cutting – Encrypted email is secure so you will no longer lose critical work time setting up a secure connection when emailing. In addition, when the email service already has encryption integrated into the server, there is no need to purchase additional equipment.
If you have security questions about your email or any of your networks, call or text Spectra Networks at 978.219.9752, or visit our website today.