Merging your IT needs with HIPAA Requirements
Running a small or medium-sized business is stressful. Things can get even more stressful if your business is in the healthcare field and needs to be in compliance with the rules of HIPAA or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. This federal legislation provides data privacy and security provisions for safeguarding medical information. This Act is balanced so that it provides needed information to health care providers for patient care, but also provides patients certain rights to that personal information.
So, if your healthcare business is upgrading its technology, merging with another company, moving offices, or just changing networks, how can you manage your IT needs with the compliance rules of the HIPAA Act and SRA (Security Risk Assessment)? Remember that this act is not just protecting the type of data that is communicated, but also the security of the databases and data that contains that sensitive information within a healthcare business. Let’s take a closer look at ways that Spectra Networks can help your company maintain compliance.
Spectra Networks can help your business stay within compliance by following these rules when it comes to your digital data.
Maintaining compliance is no simple matter and a breach could cost your company time, money, and its reputation. Call Spectra Networks to review your IT tech and how it is meeting HIPAA requirements. Call Spectra Networks at 978.219.9752, or visit our website at Spectra Networks.]]>
- Keep security software up-to-date in order to have the latest antivirus antimalware software. Each upgrade keeps your network up on the latest tricks of hackers and malicious code aimed to gain access to your system. Since applications are never perfect, Spectra can help patch security holes as they are released to keep your business within the compliance rules.
- Encrypt all confidential information. We keep your information safe and secure by using dual encryption techniques for servers and data login access points. We also ensure that any data that is transferred is done so on secure networks using SSL and multiple firewalls.
- Maintain strict access control to sensitive data. Depending upon the position and access allowed for each employee at your business, we can keep track of who has permission to access medical data and from what terminal. Logins and time within data can be easily tracked.
- Encrypt all email as required by HIPAA. Spectra uses Paubox to transfer medical records and allow medical professionals to communicate with patients.
- Wi-Fi Encryption - It has become the norm in healthcare facilities to offer free Wi-Fi in waiting rooms for patients. Spectra can help configure guest and non-guest wireless networks with a firewall so that this free patient asset turn does not into a liability.’
- For employees bringing their own devices to work (BYOD) we create a separate network that allows staff to connect to their personal devices safely.
- Maintain strong passwords and usernames for all of your employees. Remember, secure passwords should be changed every 90 days, and have at least 10 characters including an upper and lowercase letter, a number, and a special character. Passwords that fall short of these criteria can easily be broken using a password-cracking tool.
- Spectra also uses alternative login methods such as Multi Factor Authentication (MFA). Specifically, we utilize Yubico authentication products that allow for secure logins for computers, phones, online services and servers.
Spectra Networks. Website designed and developed by Sperling Interactive.